Re: [fetchmail]Re: Fetchmail is incapable of continuous unattended operation

2004-02-26 16:24:45
Ah: do you mean configure fetchmail to send its mail *directly* to
procmail, rather than going via sendmail?  So my current configuration is:

POP3 -> fetchmail -> sendmail -> (.forward) -> procmail -> destination
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^****^
and I guess you're suggesting missing this bit out?

Yes, that is exactly what I do, and seems to be a good way to remove
sendmail from your mail chain.

Yes, that seems to be working just fine.  Added
        mda /usr/local/bin/procmail
and things seem to be behaving properly.

I wonder if I'll have problems in the future, though.  My procmail script
runs spamassassin, and that does a lot of DNS lookups (for blackhole
testing and the like, I think).  I'm not sure how things are serialised,
but can imagine the same kind of problem arising in the future, where the
POP server is waiting for fetchmail which is waiting for procmail which is
waiting for spamassassin which is waiting for some lengthy DNS operation,
and again the POP server gets bored first.

I guess I'll be back again if this happens, but removing sendmail from the
chain seems like an excellent step: many thanks for the suggestion!