RE: [fetchmail]fetchmail fork?

2004-05-25 01:58:31
-----Original Message-----
From: fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
[mailto:fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Rob Funk

* HOW
<---SNIP--->
The code plan, as I see it, will be to first put 6.2.5 into
code control,
add whatever "round 1" patches are deemed necessary (bug
fixes only, no
major feature addition or removal), then do a release (What number
designation?  6.2.6?  6.2.5.1?) with announcements of the new
management going to all the usual places.

How about going with a numbering system not unlike that of the linux kernel
- odd numbers (6.3) denote development versions, even numbers (6.2) denote
production versions.

That means that platforms like FreeBSD (with it's ports) can easily track
both, without the risk that somebody who though they were running a stable
release suddenly gets the cutting edge...

Did I miss anything?  Any comments, questions, arguments,
ideas, et cetera?

I'll throw in my name to assist in sorting out any documentation issues.
I'd like to help with the coding, but really I don't have enough time to do
it seriously.  Typo's in documentation tend to be less immediately fatal :)

--
  PLEASE - keep list traffic on the list.  Don't CC or send me mail
directly.

 Rob MacGregor (BOFH)