[fetchmail]Socket Error on small e-mails

2004-05-27 19:07:39
I'm trying to use fetchmail to download my e-mail via pop3 (SSL connection),
but I keep running into the same error.  I get this socket error for different
e-mails at random times.  The only thing that I found in common in all the
e-mails is their size.  They're all spam too.  The most recent is 1430 octets
though, so the small e-mail theory doesn't seem to work.  Here's my
.fetchmailrc file:

set postmaster "jfried"
set nobouncemail
poll pop.vt.edu with proto pop3 and options no dns
       user 'jfried' there with password 'password' is
'jfried(_at_)jcgerm(_dot_)dyndns(_dot_)org' here options flush forcecr ssl

And here's the output of fetchmail -v for the socket error:

fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop.vt.edu (protocol POP3) at Thu May 27 21:51:05
2004: poll started
fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Thawte Consulting cc
fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Thawte Server CA
fetchmail: Server CommonName: pop.vt.edu
fetchmail: pop.vt.edu key fingerprint:
E3:5E:9B:84:CC:5B:72:9B:D5:6C:BD:CE:C2:83:D7:A2
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: unable to get local
issuer certificate
fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Thawte Consulting cc
fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Thawte Server CA
fetchmail: Server CommonName: pop.vt.edu
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: certificate not trusted
fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Thawte Consulting cc
fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Thawte Server CA
fetchmail: Server CommonName: pop.vt.edu
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: unable to verify the
first certificate
fetchmail: POP3< +OK lyta.cc.vt.edu POP3 service (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2
Patch 1 (built Aug 19 2002))
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< +OK list follows
fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< SASL PLAIN
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> USER jfried
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Name is a valid mailbox
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Maildrop ready
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 804 10252719
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0
804 messages for jfried at pop.vt.edu (10252719 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 1430
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 1 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
reading message jfried(_at_)pop(_dot_)vt(_dot_)edu:1 of 804 (1430 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 jcgerm.dyndns.org ESMTP
fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-jcgerm.dyndns.org
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 8BITMIME
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<kajopjvsow(_at_)medbstea(_dot_)com>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 ok
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<jfried(_at_)jcgerm(_dot_)dyndns(_dot_)org>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 go ahead
#****************fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 ok 1085709106 qp 27336
 flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 1
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from pop.vt.edu
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop.vt.edu (protocol POP3) at Thu May 27 21:51:46
2004: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2

I can run fetchmail as many times as I want and it STILL chokes on this
particular message.  I wouldn't care except I'm trying to get fetchmail to run
every 5 min to download mail onto my own mail server.  Does anyone have any
ideas?  If you need more info let me know and I'll post more.  Thanks in
advance.

Jeremy