Re: [fetchmail]Rejecting large messages when using "sendmail" for delivery

2005-06-28 08:33:55

I have postfix installed locally and was finding problems with feeding
mail in via SMTP to do with some spam messages being bounced when I
really want them accepted and filtered locally as spam.  So I am now
doing delivery via the "sendmail" commandline app.

Why not look at the anti-spam codes?

I'm looking.  I set "-Z 69", but still I get this:

 fetchmail: MDA returned nonzero status 69
 not flushed

The issue seems to be because of the way I am using the local MDA instead of via SMTP

I could use the "-l" option, but this seems to leave the mail on the
server and send warnings to the recipient.  This is supposed to be used
in an ISP type environment, so really I would prefer to bounce the
message back to the orig sender and hence get them to resend it in a
smaller format.

Looking at the man page, under the "-l option":

Combined with --flush, it can be used to delete oversized messages
waiting on a server. In daemon mode, oversize notifications are mailed
to the calling user (see the --warnings option).

I don't follow where you are going with this? The calling user is a virtual user, and all accounts are run under a virtual mail user. It's basically an ISP setup here where we run mail for relatively unknown and untrusted users and allow them to pickup mail from other email accounts if they want to.

The desired behaviour here is to bounce the large message...

So, you could probably find a way to script the bounce message, but it
may be easier to educate (with a large stick possibly) the people
sending the stupid sized emails :-)

It's not realistic for me to try and educate the rest of the world on good mail policy. Working out how to bounce large messages instead of chewing bandwidth would seem to be part of the solution though?

Thanks for any tips

Ed W