Re: [fetchmail]Rejecting large messages when using "sendmail" for delivery

2005-06-28 15:51:29

No, not return codes, but MTA error codes.  You need to be passing the
email via SMTP.

?? Ehh? My first post made it clear that I wasn't passing email via SMTP because I couldn't get the behaviour I was after (easily). You then said I could check the spam return codes? I think my confusion is obvious at this point?

The desired behaviour here is to bounce the large message...

Which you can't do. You can either keep repolling it, or delete it.

How do I delete it (safely) bearing in mind some users may be marking "option keep" for some servers? I sense that this isn't the correct solution for me?

Or, you can either increase the local limit to match the server you're
pulling from (or talk to them about lowering theirs).

Hmm, difficult to see how I could ring up huge ISPs and persuade them that 20Mb was the correct limit for their servers. I doubt this is a workable suggestion in practice.

Well, you could always provide the project with a patch :-)  All I can
do is tell you that fetchmail doesn't support the behaviour you're
looking for.

Thanks, writing the code would of course probably be trivial. We seem to be talking cross purposes though - at this stage I'm trying to configure a complicated tool and have the usual pressures of time. I was *hoping* just to get a few simple answers as to current capabilities before I started cracking open code. Perhaps I phrased my original question badly but I don't feel that I obtained this simple answer very easily.

Thanks for taking the time (in the end) to clarify the current fetchmail behaviour. Much appreciated

Ed W