Re: large messages

1991-08-16 12:15:25
        From schoff(_at_)psi(_dot_)com Fri Aug 16 11:04:17 1991
        To: braden(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU
        Cc: header-people(_at_)mc(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu,
ietf-822(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu,
                ietf-smtp(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu,
postel(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU
        Subject: Re: large messages
        Date: Fri, 16 Aug 91 14:01:41 -0400
        From: "Martin Lee Schoffstall" <schoff(_at_)psi(_dot_)com>

         RFC-1123 (Host Requirements) says for the Internet: "Mailer software
         MUST be able to send and receive messages of at least 64K bytes
         (including header), and a much larger size is highly desirable".

         I suggest we press other mail systems to adopt the 64K minimum.

        Agreed.  Just for some additional context for "gateway providers", the
        "market" is pushing on 1+ Mbyte sizes, with machines like NEXT, Macs,
        and PC mail software running with attached documents through SMTP and
        UUCP today within those homogeneous communities.

        So some gateway providers either run without limits or with
multimegabyte
        limits.

        Marty

Marty,

The Host Requirements group really wanted to set a lower limit like
1 MB, but we had to be realistic about PCs and other little critters...!

Bob Braden