Re: large messages

1991-08-16 11:06:50

 RFC-1123 (Host Requirements) says for the Internet: "Mailer software
 MUST be able to send and receive messages of at least 64K bytes
 (including header), and a much larger size is highly desirable".

 I suggest we press other mail systems to adopt the 64K minimum.

Agreed.  Just for some additional context for "gateway providers", the
"market" is pushing on 1+ Mbyte sizes, with machines like NEXT, Macs,
and PC mail software running with attached documents through SMTP and
UUCP today within those homogeneous communities.

So some gateway providers either run without limits or with multimegabyte
limits.

Marty