Re: Transport Encodings

1991-09-12 16:43:30
We *need* binary transport because [see text of messages from last
seven months].  Yes, I do intend to show/run arbitrary data (such as
bitmaps, lotus spreadsheets, and MS-word docs) without PEM.  Yes, I do
intend to allowing users to specify proper defaults for declining
information for particular applications and/or from particular hosts.

No. We don't *need* binary transport to do these things. We *need* binary
encoding to do these things. We have binary encoding already. We *need*
binary transport only if we're concered about that last 20% of efficiency to
the point where we want to make major protocol changes to get it.

I'm not arguing for or against binary transport here. In fact, I'm not for
or against it in any case. You show me how you propose to implement it and
I'll be for or against that. But you have not demonstrated a need for binary
transport here; you can do all of these things without it.

                                        Ned