Re: Transport Encodings

1991-09-11 17:45:23

...I guess the summary of that message, when your taxonomy is applied to
it, is "let's simplify this story by having the sender specify the
conversion directly, rather than working up an intermediary typology
through which the conversion can be deduced....

...But, given the objections that have been raised and the fact that this
does make things slightly more complex and increases the number, and
possibly severity, of failure cases (i.e., it is an interoperability
threat), I'd like to see this dropped until some of the advocates can
come forward and say "we *need* binary transport because...", or "the
savings in bandwidth are really important because...".

We *need* binary transport because [see text of messages from last
seven months].  Yes, I do intend to show/run arbitrary data (such as
bitmaps, lotus spreadsheets, and MS-word docs) without PEM.  Yes, I do
intend to allowing users to specify proper defaults for declining
information for particular applications and/or from particular hosts.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
ljm(_at_)ftp(_dot_)com