Re: Transport Encodings

1991-09-12 20:04:06
Leo j mclaughlin iii writes...
We *need* binary transport because ...

John C Klensin writes:
  What I'm still not grasping is why this, of necessity, implies binary
transport.
As I said at the beginning, if I'm the only one with these concerns, I
hereby drop this line of discussion.  So, if there are others out there,
let's hear from them.

If you were the only one with those concerns, I would say that the
IETF SMTP and 822 working groups are in a pretty sad state.

I agree with just about everything you said in that message, John.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that I disagree with what Leo meant
to say. I think Leo simply wants to be able to email binary data.
That's quite different from wanting a binary TRANSPORT (i.e. at the
SMTP level). Is that right, Leo?

Perhaps we need to agree on terminology before we discuss things?

Sincerely,
EvdP