Re: why it is a problem to transmit binary as binary in mail

1991-09-13 07:13:25
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 12-Sep-91 Re: why it is a problem to ..
"Erik E. Fair"@apple.com (1838)

In my capacity as Postmaster for Apple Computer, Inc., I will shortly
be issuing a TechNote to our developers (in house and third party)
which describes a standard for encapsulating an arbitrary Macintosh
file in Internet mail (with the caveat that the IETF may eventually
provide something more functional, and implementors should implement
that when it comes along), because I can't wait for this group to
complete its deliberations. My users are demanding this capability now
(indeed, they have been waiting for me to implement it for over a
year), and I can't stall 'em any longer.

Might I suggest that you start with something like the recent Internet
Draft?  As far as I know, despite all the discussion on this list, there
are probably only a few, relatively minor changes that will happen to
that draft before it advances to proposed standard...