Re: New-ish idea on non-ascii headers

1991-09-28 18:30:30
I should also say that I see more trouble in practice with the display of
the phrase before a route-addr than I do with the display of text header
lines or comments. That is why I'm reluctant to back off to a position
where these phrases are not covered by header encoding.

My message wasn't meant to suggest that we should back off on those phrases,
only that we should also cover comments. The only argument against comments
was that they also appear in Received lines, but I don't think this is
relevant. Whatever we do will be explicitly restricted to a specific set
of headers. Also as Henry Spencer and John Klensin suggest: people who define
extra headers can look after themselves.

I would like to go on record as opposing the Swedish suggestion that we specify
anything more than character set for headers (e.g. Header-type: text-plus).
That idea adds insignificant funtionality against enormous gain in complexity.
Perhaps the X.400 people will take up the idea :-).

Bob Smart