quoted-printable

1992-02-12 10:21:52
Quoted-printable has strictly no technical raison d'etre. It has been
introduced to allow encoded text to be somewhat visible. If only the
presence of x'0D0A' in the text can produce a (hard) line break in the
encoding, quoted-printable produced by machines using anything else
internally to delimit lines will not contain any hard line-breaks.
Makes the encoding rather difficult to read. But there is more :
the line structure of the text will be lost when decoded on a machine
using another local convention. Or am I goofing once again ?
"Alain FONTAINE (Postmaster - UCL)"
<fontaine(_at_)sri(_dot_)ucl(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be>

I agree.  Quoted-printable seems like excess baggage.  It is in fact
nothing more than a poor man's version of mneumonic and I don't like
mneumonic very much either.  If you need something of this form, then
the UTF of ISO 10646 DIS 2 is a better candidate.  (Yeah, I know that
is 8 bit - but it would provide an incentive :-).