Re: quoted-printable

1992-02-12 12:56:02
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 12-Feb-92 quoted-printable Walt Daniels(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_) (943)

Quoted-printable seems like excess baggage.

Well, I think this is a GROSS overstatement. Consider the case of mail that has the following type:

Let's say it is in a European language such as German. Now, the vast majority of the characters in the message -- maybe even on the order of 99%, though I don't really know that much about the frequency table of letter usage in German -- will be characters without the high order bit turned on, i.e. legitimate ASCII characters. A few stray characters, however, will be things with umlauts, and so on.

With quoted printable, this message can be sent in such a way that it is essentially readable in its "raw" form, on any ASCII terminal. If we encoded it in base64, it becomes gobbledygook in the absence of decoding software. This is the primary rationale (there are others) for the existence of quoted-printable, and I think it's a darned good one.... -- Nathaniel