Re: Working Group LAST CALL.....

1992-03-26 13:59:52
On Thu, 26 Mar 92 18:14:20 +0100 you said:
I just want to be heard. Or: we made a statement on this more than
a month ago and it has not been addressed at all. Is this the way
to make Internet standards, just ignoring input? And in my mind
there was no reason for excluding MNEMONIC.

Keld:

The reason for  excluding Mnemonic has been stated *OVER  AND OVER*. The
IESG will *NOT* pass an RFC that contains a phrase of the form "usage of

mknod /dev/sarcasm c 4 0

I suppose we *could* have done things  the way you seem to advocate, and
reference  non-existent  documents. It  would  have  made life  a  *lot*
simpler for us if we had  just specified the then-to-be-voted version of
ISO10646 and carved  it in stone. Of  course, the fact that  it wasn't a
full  standard meant  it was  a moving  target. Personally,  I *like*  a
little excitement in  my life, I'd have *enjoyed* having  the MIME draft
quote a defeated version of 10646.

Similarly, I'd enjoy  having the MIME draft reference  the working draft
of  Mnemonic specifying  *ONE* thing,  and then  have the  Mnemonic crew
re-write  it  in  some  totally  new direction.  Such  things  make  for
incompatibility problems  that I can waste  a week or two  chasing, so I
can avoid what I'm supposed to be doing.

rm -rf /dev/sarcasm

I hate to say this, but the more Keld waves his "show-stopper" flag, the
more temptation  I have to say  that *inclusion* of Mnemonic  would be a
show-stopper for  me. I  have seen "show-stopper"  said *so*  many times
even in the face of clear explainations that even *I* could follow, that
I  have to  worry that  there's something  wrong/broken in  Mnemonic....

                                  Valdis Kletnieks
                                  Computer Systems Engineer
                                  Virginia Polytechnic Institute