Re: Implications of MIME for Transport

1992-04-15 08:10:56
Excerpts from mail: 15-Apr-92 Re: Implications of MIME fo.. Nathaniel
Borenstein(_at_)thu (771*)

Well, this is progress.  As I read the grammar, however, the CRLF is
also essential -- it is PART of the boundary, in the latest draft.  Thus
I believe that it would actually be OK (though not smart) to have the
boundary appear somewhere not after a CRLF.  (The only danger I can
think of is if the line gets wrapped later -- is that what you were
thinking of?)

Yes, that's what I was thinking of.  You've rediscovered the danger that
we discussed a year ago or more--that MTA-induced line wraps can make
text appear at the beginning of the line to the recipient where it
wasn't at the beginning of the line to the sender.  Thus, the string
that must not appear anywhere is ``--newBoundaryText'', not
``<crlf>--newBoundaryText''.

                Craig