Re: MAJOR BUG IN MIME

1992-07-02 22:47:42
This is not change for change's sake.

It is gratuitous for dot to be in tspecials.  No one has yet provided a reason
why dot should be in tspecials.

There are MIME implementations which send out unquoted dots in parameters, due
to the fact that some implementors look at the examples and not at the BNF.
This has caused MIME mail to fail.

This sure seems like a functional problem to me.

It is gratuitous to oppose a trivial change that removes this (gratuitous)
inclusion of dot that causes (gratuitous) interoperability problems.

If you `have better things to do than to worry about tripe like this', then
why are you spending so much time fighting it?  You seem to have some sort of
religious fervor over it.  I'm just trying to let my users read their mail.

If the months spent in the Proposed and Draft Standard state are not used to
fix this sort of specification problem, then what's the point?  Why not
declare it to be a Standard now and be done with it?