Re: text/enriched draft critique

1993-03-21 18:57:53
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 21-Mar-93 text/enriched draft critique Dana S Emery(_at_)umail(_dot_)umd(_dot_)e (8062*)

I would like to see seperate "Big" and "Small" states recomended, so that
<Bigger> and <Smaller> index into seperate tables. This will allow a slightly
more compact description, especially if a document employs both a Small and a
Big size alternatly:

<Smaller>
...are described in the following sections.
<Bigger><Bold>Formatting Commands</Bold></b>

The text/enriched formatting commands...according to type.

<Bigger><Bold>Font-Changing Commands</Bold></Bigger>

The following formatting commands are intended to alter...
</Smaller>

would suffice, instead of the lengthier:

<Smaller>
...are described in the following sections.
</Smaller><Bigger><Bold>Formatting Commands</Bold></b>

The text/enriched formatting commands...according to type.

<Bigger><Bold>Font-Changing Commands</Bold></Bigger>

<Smaller>The following formatting commands are intended to alter...
</Smaller>

Yuck. Too confusing. And how do I encode text that is two levels of smaller and contains a piece that is only one level smaller? That is:
<smaller><smaller>four points
smaller<bigger> two points
smaller</bigger>still four points
smaller</smaller></smaller>