Re: A spec for showing language in MIME headers

1993-11-11 14:18:19
Dana S Emery writes:

  We can do that either by defining more headers (as Danny
  suggests), or by allowing parameters:

  or whatever.  We don't have to do it all the first time
  around, so long as we leave room to build on whatever we
  do.

thank you steve, very well put.

  Agreed. However, I think that I would like to see someone (some sort
  of linguist, just as an example) tell us that 'yes, the data allowed in
  the header(s) you have defined will enable a large group of people to
  specify their language of choice' or, have someone say 'wait, you are
  exluding this large group of people, why can't you ask for so-and-so
  information instead'. I don't think that Dana and I are in disagreement
  on this, hence Dana's research over the past few days.

  I guess my fear is that a Content-language will be defined that isn't
  very usuable, or not very extensible without throwing away past work
  in order to fix any wholes. Thats all. At the moment I am fairly
  convinced that it is best to go with 1 "Content-language" header and
  to make that fairly bulky.

  BTW: I am not sure how my comments are being taken so just want to
       restate the fact that I am 100% for the addition of a language
       content in MIME.

Neophytos Iacovou
Honeywell Systems & Research Center
iacovou(_at_)src(_dot_)honeywell(_dot_)com
Minneapolis, Mn, 55418