Re: Response

1994-01-23 23:48:02
Subject:   Response                             Time: 11:53 AM   Date:
01/17/94
This is in response to an issue raised on BIDI a couple of weeks ago that was
sent to David.

Have we agreed that ISO 10646 needs some profiling to be a MIME charset?

The goal in producing the MIME proposal was to identify 10646 as the charset.

10646 here means DIS 10646-1.0 which is much better than the current IS.

The default internal ordering of characters within 10646 is logical order; it

Where in the ISO 10646 is it described? It seems to me that it only
says logical ordering would be "usual".

it
also provides format codes for controlling the implicit and explicit
presentation order (0x200E, 0x200F, and 0x202A through 0x202C),

They are in an informative annex.

or can be used
with other standards such as ISO/IEC 6429.

So? What is your choice?

(Unicode provides an detailed algorithm for determining presentation order of
10646 characters within a line or paragraph--even in the absence of
presentation format codes.

I have never seen any detailed algorithm in Uncode books.

Where is it described?

[A point that often seems to be lost in these discussions is that *no*
character set specifies the precise details of the graphical expression of the
text; neither JIS, nor ASCII, nor 8859/x etc.

I know that many people think distinction between lower/upper case
is unnecessary, to whom ASCII is too luxurious.

But, I think *YOU* need 8859/1, which contains characters which are identical
to characters in ASCII save precise details.

None of them specify the exact
bits used to draw a character, the exact width of a character, the exact
placement of successive characters, nor the exact shape of a character.]

Font is a problem different from plain text encoding, of course. So?

                                                        Masataka Ohta