Re: Response

1994-01-24 09:39:29

  From: Masataka Ohta
<mohta(_at_)necom830(_dot_)cc(_dot_)titech(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp>
  Date: Mon, 24 Jan 94 15:42:20 JST

  Have we agreed that ISO 10646 needs some profiling to be a MIME charset?

No, it does not need profiling to be used by MIME.  If it does, then
ASCII does too.

  10646 here means DIS 10646-1.0 which is much better than the current IS.

Excuse me, but what purpose does it serve to keep recalling DIS 1?  It
is dead and buried.  Your longings won't resurrect it.

  > (Unicode provides an detailed algorithm for determining presentation
  > order of 10646 characters within a line or paragraph--even in the
  > absence of presentation format codes.

  I have never seen any detailed algorithm in Uncode books.
  Where is it described?

Well, it may not be your idea of "detailed", but Appendix A in volume I,
along with corrections in Appendix D of volume II and erratta in TR #4
define an algorithm, which, if you possess only an average amount of
cleverness, will allow you to implement the Unicode BIDI algorithm in
real code without any problems.  Of course, it would help if you knew
something about Arabic or Hebrew too; so perhaps it will be a bit more
difficult for you.

Glenn Adams