Re: NULL

1994-10-24 17:50:56
On Sat, 22 Oct 1994 23:23:55 EST, Masataka Ohta said:
User agents are unrelated to the issue.

If a user uses encoding including NULL, his agent is designed to
accept NULL.

If not, regardless of how NULL is treated by a user agent, the
message containing NULL is wrongly encoded and unreadable.

Logic check here.

Whose logic are you checking? Yours?

If I parsed this correctly, it's saying that if I have a user agent
that generates an outgoing NULL, it should accept inbound NULL as
well.  This is all fine and good.  Any user agent that can't receive
its own output is broken.

Your opinion is rational, though completely unrelated to mine.

Unfortunately for Real  World Interoperability, the actual problem  is
that I  can have a 100% <insert  standard here>  compliant MUA and MTA
that generate a NULL outbound.  Now,  in the Real World, people rarely
send e-mail to themselves.  The problem arises when  they send to some
OTHER user who has a 99.9% compliant MTA/MUA which botches on NULL.

I wrote:

User agents are unrelated to the issue.

So, your logic to not distinguish MUA and MTA is just broken.

We should have 100% compliant MTAs. MUAs are unrelated. PERIOD.

                                                                Masataka Ohta