Re: NULL

1994-10-25 16:17:29
On Tue, 25 Oct 1994 09:42:05 EST, Masataka Ohta said:
We should have 100% compliant MTAs. MUAs are unrelated. PERIOD.

Masataka:

Your system reports on port 25:

220 necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp Sendmail 5.65+/necom-mx-rg ready at Wed, 26 Oct
94 01:28:27 +0900

Have you ever checked the header field of my mails? It is NOT MIME.

So, do you want to say I should not talk about MIME?

Is this version of Sendmail 5.65 patched to support NULL correctly, as the
standard requires?

I said several times that 7bit SHOULD NOT be but IS broken.

I'm not so eager to fix 7bit.

And more importantly, how do you propose to get all the
OTHER sites that are running *NON* patched sendmails to upgrade?  It took
a number of big security scares to get people to move from 5.6x to 8.6,
what will be their motivation for moving to 8.7?

Why? You can just use base64 over 7bit transport. If a transport is upgraded to
support 8bit
and binary, 7bit will, with no doubt, be fixed.

Platitudes like "We should have" are nice - but we have to be pragmatic here.

So, be pragmatic.

                                                        Masataka Ohta