Re: NULL

1994-10-24 17:57:52
I'm very familiar with both of these specs.  If MIME does not have a
line-length restriction, then why are 7bit and 8bit defined as consisting
of "short lines"?  And you're right, the MIME spec. does not say 1000
characters.  The only line length restrictions found in MIME are the 76
character limits for base-64 and q-p output.  Could this be the reason
certain versions of Eudora refused to generate ANY lines longer than 76
characters?

Sorry to have overlooked the non-standard behaviour of short lines.

Actually I thought there would be exactly four possibilities for this:

      range ::= "0-255" | "0-127" | "1-255" | "1-127"

And a lot more.

My whole point in this is I want to see the defaults be for arbitrary binary
material, without having to slap a "Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary" on
every part of every message.  Binary is not an evil to be suppressed.  It
is reasonable to believe that this is where we are headed.

That's also one of my point.

All the mail transport in the near future should be completely transparent
regardless of how CTE is.

MIME CTE mechanism will be useful until that time but not beyond.

                                                        Masataka Ohta