Re: NULL

1994-10-24 13:21:33
At 1:19 PM 10/24/94, Michael D'Errico wrote:
I also disagree that binary is evil, as so many on this list seem to argue.

I've really only heard one person arguing even implicitly that binary is
evil; that's Ohta.  And he hasn't said it outright, just implied it by
refusing to accept CTE: binary as a reasonable solution to his problems.

People *have* said that binary is problematic given today's transports, but
that doesn't mean we are glad about that.

certain versions of Eudora refused to generate ANY lines longer than 76
characters?

There has never been such a version of Eudora.  If you got that impression,
it's from someone who doesn't understand how to use it.

My whole point in this is I want to see the defaults be for arbitrary binary
material, without having to slap a "Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary" on
every part of every message.

I suppose there really are two issues here.  One is what to do with CTE:
7bit/8bit; there I think it clear that we should make the definitions be
the safest ones; 1-127/1-255, and short lines.  The second is what a
missing CTE: means; currently we assume 7bit; perhaps it's reasonable to
assume binary instead.  Or perhaps at some future date it will be
reasonable to change the default to binary (7bit being subset of binary, we
could do that, eh?).

I for one *like* the idea of more explicit labelling (I've long wished for
an explicit parameter for newline conversion), but I don't hear much
support for it.

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated.  "Oog make mission statement."