Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-11-16 11:47:39
On Wed, 16 Nov 1994 21:31:01 +0200, Masataka Ohta said:
What we, Japanese, has been doing for these 10 years for e-mail and
News is to use 7bit encoding of ASCII, JIS X 0201 and JIS X 0208
character sets [RFC1468].

Totally unlabeled?

Yes. 10 years ago, there was no MIME.

I guess my outside-the-little-mountainous-island
MUA is supposed to be able to read minds and guess that it's JIS.

You don't have to, if what you receive is ASCII or JIS only.

Supporting a single localization is easy.

Oh, wait.. you wanted to talk to the rest of the world?

What? Are you talking about the Internationalization?

You can do the similar thing with Latin-1.

Well.. you can either send 8-bit, and watch it get smashed by any
standard-compliant mailer, or you can do some sort of encoding such as
quoted-printable..

Latin-1 can be encoded with 8-th bit totally unset.

You don't need MIME at all.

Well.. it *is* nice to have MIME or something similar around your encoding
so the receiving MUA doesn't try to decode a non-existent =A6=B9 encoding.
(Anybody who tried to decode the 2 chars above deserves what they get).

Certainly. MIME charset mechanism is good to identify multiple
localizations. But, if one decides to use 8bit Latin-1 only, a
single localization, he does not need charset specification.

I'm afraid you are creating the chaos of babel.

No, it's the people who think they can ship around anything besides
0-127 bit US ASCII text without flagging it that cause chaos.

The best way of flagging is to use ISO 2022 escape sequences.

By assuming the initial designation of ASCII only, there is no chaos.

Sure. It's 4:00 AM now.

                                                Masataka Ohta