Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-11-30 11:16:04
On Wed, 30 Nov 1994 21:40:00 +0900, you said:
   Wonderful.  I am delighted to hear that you have just completed the
   worldwide installation of your preferred character set.  I trust that
   you can now send out a message, similar to mine, that contains several
   different languages and can be read even more widely than my MIME
   message?  I look forward to seeing it.  Until you produce it, however,
   your claim that "now is then" is about as meaningful as a claim that "up
   is down".  -- Nathaniel

Okay, how about the following example?  It is a part of the sample
data named doc/demo in mule2 (multiligual extenstion to GNU Emacs by
Handa-san).  If you want more, I can send the other examples.

Well.. as a data point, I was able to see Nataniel's message OK, but
we have neither Mule nor iso2022-JP here.  So all you've proven is that YOU
can display them.  You haven't done anything to show that ISO2022-JP is
installed in anything *near* the number of sites that MIME is.

Linguistic question:  I know that Japanese is structured in a way that makes
it almost impossible to say a flat-out 'NO!'.  Is there a similar quirk that
makes it difficult to express the difference between "What's *REALLY* going
on" and "what you WISH was going on"?  There seems to be a tendency among
certain people to assume "since I have it here, and I wish it were everywhere,
therefor it IS everywhere".....

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer
                                Virginia Tech