Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-11-16 11:31:49
On Wed, 16 Nov 1994 21:31:01 +0200, Masataka Ohta said:
What we, Japanese, has been doing for these 10 years for e-mail and
News is to use 7bit encoding of ASCII, JIS X 0201 and JIS X 0208
character sets [RFC1468].

Totally unlabeled? I guess my outside-the-little-mountainous-island
MUA is supposed to be able to read minds and guess that it's JIS.

Oh, wait.. you wanted to talk to the rest of the world?

You can do the similar thing with Latin-1.

Well.. you can either send 8-bit, and watch it get smashed by any
standard-compliant mailer, or you can do some sort of encoding such as
quoted-printable..

You don't need MIME at all.

Well.. it *is* nice to have MIME or something similar around your encoding
so the receiving MUA doesn't try to decode a non-existent =A6=B9 encoding.
(Anybody who tried to decode the 2 chars above deserves what they get).

I'm afraid you are creating the chaos of babel.

No, it's the people who think they can ship around anything besides
0-127 bit US ASCII text without flagging it that cause chaos.

character set issues, but it's outright confusion like this on your part
that has caused me to change my mind.

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer
                                Virginia Tech