Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-11-17 06:32:48
I must say I'm getting really tired of the way you're twisting this around.

> > The whole point of MIME's character set facilities, however, was not
> > "localization" but "globalization" -- making email intelligible
> > everywhere, regardless of geographic or linguistic issues.
>
> And do so in a single message, which is unrelated to MIME.
>
> Thus, MIME is unrelated to globalization/internationalization.

This depends on whether you believe that communication will be globalized more quickly and universally via top-down or bottom-up methods. If there were someone in a position to dictate a single universal character set that the whole world would use, your approach would be workable. I don't think this is possible in the short term, and possibly not in the next 50 years. That leaves the bottom-up method, where linguistic communities are free to choose their OWN preferred way to represent text, but adopt a global labelling convention to tell which representation they are using. That's the MIME approach, and I think it is the only short-term feasible approach to globalized text.

> In which langauge, you can commnicate with others?
>
> I shall not accept the answer "English".

I don't have a clue what you mean by "shall not accept the answer English" -- are you saying that English speakers don't count, that their experience is irrelevant?

I don't see why it matters, but for the record I have been known to communicate to greater or lesser degree in English, Hebrew, Spanish, Italian, and German, although I'm very rusty at all of them besides English.

> > And then
> > you need to be able to specify/identify the character set, which is the
> > main facility MIME provides in this regard. -- Nathaniel
>
> Not at all. You are thinking only about text with a
> single localized charset, which is totally unrelated to
> globaliization/internationalization, where single text may
> contain all the charactters in the world.
>
> That's a simple misunderstanding TOO commonly found within native
> Latin alpabet users.

Please stop telling me what I am thinking about. You are simply wrong in that regard. I fully realize that some messages will contain multiple languages. So what? As it happens, MIME's multipart mechanism gives us a way to do this now, for those rare messages that need it, without having to give up our existing conventions for representing our OWN languages.

This MIME message, for example, includes my name in Hebrew:
םולש ןב ילתפנ

and the name of a Japanese MIME-implementing colleague in Japanese:
佐藤豊

Now, would it be nicer and more elegant if this entire message were in a single character set? Of course! And when such a universal character set comes into widespread use, that will be great. Until then, however, MIME gives me a way to send this message, including text in English, Japanese, and Hebrew, with a high level of confidence that it will be readable on a wide range of platforms and with a wide range of implementations. -- Nathaniel