Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-11-30 08:27:05
I have posted almost the same article to info.ietf.smtp, but I'm not
sure it is gatewayed to ietf-822 bidirectionally.  So, I'm mailing it
here.  Sorry if you see it twice.

As you know, the second part of this mail is encoded in ISO-2022-JP-2.
It contains English, German, Turkish, Japanese, and Hangul.
ISO-2022-INT-1 has almost the same functionality.
In article <YimqWwH0Eyt586ee13(_at_)nsb(_dot_)fv(_dot_)com>
nsb(_at_)nsb(_dot_)fv(_dot_)com (Nathaniel Borenstein) writes:

   >    Now, would it be nicer and more elegant if this entire message
   >    is in a single charset?  Of course!  And when such a universal
   >    charset comes into widespread use, that will be great.

   > > Until then, however,

   > Now is "then".

   Wonderful.  I am delighted to hear that you have just completed the
   worldwide installation of your preferred character set.  I trust that
   you can now send out a message, similar to mine, that contains several
   different languages and can be read even more widely than my MIME
   message?  I look forward to seeing it.  Until you produce it, however,
   your claim that "now is then" is about as meaningful as a claim that "up
   is down".  -- Nathaniel

Okay, how about the following example?  It is a part of the sample
data named doc/demo in mule2 (multiligual extenstion to GNU Emacs by
Handa-san).  If you want more, I can send the other examples.

English                 Hello
German (Deutsch S.AN|d)       GrN|N_ Gott*B
Turkish (T.AN|rkNge) Merhaba*B
Japanese ($BF|K\8l(B)         $B$3$s$K$A$O(B, *IN:N]NFNANJ,
$BqV$(DiQ(B*B
Hangul ($(CGQ1[(B)                    $(C>H3gGO<<?d(B, $(C>H3gGO=J4O1n(B