Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-11-17 20:05:38
Displaying is the job of terminal emulator and  has nothing to do with
MUA.

Eh?

Yes.

There's fundamental misunderstanding of what an MUA does here.  I
define an MUA as the interface between a person and the electronic
representation of electronic mail.  The MUA must acquire email from an MTA,
read the electronic form of a message and render it for human perception.

In that extended sense that the entire operating system is the MUA, most
of MUA, that is, most of text processing tools, does not recognize MIME.

It must translate human perception into electronic form suitable for
transmission by an MTA and deliver it to an MTA.

So, instead of extending MUA, take modular approach, which is the
only way to use MIME.

RFC 822 is good enough for multilingual processing.

Now I'm completely confused.  You argue that electronic mail standards
needs to support other charset systems,

No. Single 7bit MIME charset including mutiple 2022 character sets is more
than enough.

because of their inadequacy for
representing other languages.

I KNOW, not arguing, that we have been using mixed Japanese-English
environment without MIME but only with RFC 822 for 10 years. See
RFC 1468.

Now you apparently contradict yourself with
this statement.  Can you reconcile this for us?

Could you explain why you think there are any contradiction?

                                                        Masataka Ohta