Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-11-17 15:18:42
At 3:14 PM 11/17/94, Markku Savela wrote:
To me both carry roughly the same information content, and can be
transformed between without loss of information. Which is better,
depends really on content.

Thank you.  That is how it seems to me as well.

I my view, the MIME charset attribute just specifies the *initial*
ISO-2022 state for the text content.

Hmmmm.  Not sure I like that idea much.

I'd rather have a definite signal that 2022 is in use, such as using
"charset=ISO-2022" or something.  I know that ISO-2022 isn't really the
same as a charset, but in my ignorance I do not see how using the charset
parameter to label something as 2022 would be harmful, assuming 2022
generally conforms to the "text" content-type model.  (If, like raw
Unicode, it can use CRLF to mean something beside newline, then it needs a
new top-level type, IMO.)

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated.  "Oog make mission statement."