SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-11-30 21:52:19
   Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 10:37:15 -0600
   From: sdorner(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com (Steve Dorner)

   Examples of what?  All I saw were a few english letters, some punctuation,
   quite a few $ signs, and some little square boxes.

   From: Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
   Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 13:15:40 -0500

   Well.. as a data point, I was able to see Nataniel's message OK, but
   we have neither Mule nor iso2022-JP here.  So all you've proven is that YOU
   can display them.  You haven't done anything to show that ISO2022-JP is
   installed in anything *near* the number of sites that MIME is.

   From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
   Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 14:45:47 -0500

   Looks like gibberish to me.  Somehow I suspect that it also looks like
   gibberish to most of the people who read this.

Thank you for good three reports.  They look like me the same flame as
one by someone who cannot read MIME messages since he/she do not
install metamail.  In such case, how do you answer?  I guess you would
say that he/she would better install metamail if he/she want to see
it.  I have implemented a MIME support for Emacs becase I want to read
and write MIME messages.  You may want not to use mule for reading
iso-2022-jp-2 since you don't need it.  It is okay.  No problem.  This
is the same answer to him/her who don't need MIME.

For everone who don't know how to use mule from metamail, I will show
you an example of mailcap description.

text/plain; mule %s;\
        test=test "${MM_MAILER}" != emacs;\
        test=test "`echo %{charset} | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`" = iso-2022-jp-2

   Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 10:37:15 -0600
   From: sdorner(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com (Steve Dorner)

   You have certainly not demonstrated to me that ISO-2022 is installed
   worldwide, as Nathaniel challenged.
   ...[deleted]
   It is not installed everywhere.  Perhaps it should be, but it is not.

I don't know how many people are there on this list, and don't know
how many people can and cannot read the message.  And, I either don't
know how many people can and cannot read the message in the world.
From my point of view, counting which is more than the other is
definitely meaningless.  It depends on the period and interests of
people.

In addition, if the number of people who can read the ISO-2022-JP-2
message is less than the other in this list, it may imply that the
most of the people who can read and write ISO-2022-JP-2 messages daily
basis are not interested in the discussions held in this list since
the internationallization has been already finished by that
technology.  In other words, people who don't know that fact may be
only subscribing this list (:-).

In my feeling, anti-ISO-2022-* people don't try to use the widely
spread mule to examine the feasibility of the methodology.  I would
like to recommend you make discussions after the enough experiences.
It is not ideal but practical system.  If you ftp it, you can use it.
If you don't have any experiences, I don't count you.  I think it is
the least manner for having technical discussions.  I belive people
listed in this list are not users but engineers.  Sorry for you who
have enough experiences.