Re: Internationalization of the Internet

1994-12-06 22:15:54
! > ! Make no mistake.  The use of ISO-2022-JP DOES violate RFC 822.
! > ! RFC 822 specifies ASCII.  ISO-2022-JP, as you say, is NOT ASCII.
! >
! > If ISO-2022-JP encoded Japanese character is violating RFC 822,
! > uuencoded Japanese charcter will also violate it, right?
! > How about uuencoded binaries like images or sounds?
! > I guess they are not ASCII.
!
!       In a strict sense no.  The encoding result contains only
!       ASCII characters, however interpreting the contents is
!       another bag of problems.  (822 does NOT say anything about
!       the contents structure -> there are a lot of different
!       ad-hoc structures around from the days before MIME.
!       Some mutually exclusive, or othervice not understood
!       elsewere.)

Thank you, Matti. I understand your comment.
And then I'd like to hear the comment from the author of 822.

Dave, which do you think violate rfc822?
a) ISO-2022-JP encoded Japanese character
b) uuencoded Japanese character
c) uuencoded binaries(eg. gif, jpeg...)
d) B encoded binaries(eg. gif, jpeg...)
e) Q encoded ISO-8859-1
f) B encoded ISO-2022-JP

Thanks,                         Satoshi KINOSHITA