Re: Don't change RFC822 for the worse!

1994-12-08 01:07:21
           ANSI.  "USA Standard Code  for  Information  Interchange,"  X3.4.
              American  National Standards Institute: New York (1968).  Also
              in:  Feinler, E.  and J. Postel, eds., "ARPANET Protocol Hand-
              book", NIC 7104.

      This reference DOES discuss the character set and its encoding scheme.

The reference contains ESC with the semantics of that of ISO 2022.

      < Since RFC-822 uses only the term ASCII but says nothing about
character
      < sets and its encoding scheme, we have been interpreted the above
      < definition like,
      <
      <   1. <any ASCII character> means codepoints 0/0-7/15(0.-127.).
      <   2. RFC-822 itself does not define character encoding scheme.

      You've been working under false assumptions.

      Nonetheless, since you have, and other enclaves around the world have
done
      similar extensions in other, incompatible, ways, this working group is
      responsible for dealing with the mess.

Unlike those who use national variant of ISO 646 without designation,
ISO-2022-* use of RFC 822 is compatible with US-ASCII and other ASCII
compatible encodings.

So, I don't want this ML (not a WG) interfere our effort of
internationalization.

                                                Masataka Ohta