Re: Don't change RFC822 for the worse!

1994-12-12 04:38:30
} Subject: Re: Don't change RFC822 for the worse!
}
} Passing the mail message or any other text on the Internet to UNIX pipe,
} to another Internet commands etc. are the thing we are doing everyday.
}
} I don't mind if some of you don't need it, as long as you don't
} say we should suffer a lot of inconvenience.

Yet you would ask that many others suffer inconvenience on your behalf.

No.

Assuming ISO 2022 is as much an inconvenience for some as you would say
that not assuming it is for you.

For example, as ISO-8859-1 and ISO-2022-INT-* are both based on the
invocation mechanism of ISO 2022 and initial designations are
compatible, you can use ISO-8859-1 encoding mixed with
ISO-2022-INT-* without MIME charset labelling.

It works, as long as you are using only a single localization.

} I have said several times that I don't mind you use MIME.

And I do not mind if you use ISO-2022-INT.

Fine. But the current MIME spec on RFC 822 does mind. So, it
should be modified.

} > Why
} > must I continue only to guess, when it would be so simple to be told?
}
} You don't have to. You can just assume ISO-2022-INT-*, not US-ASCII.

For now and for the foreseeable future, assuming iso-2022-int-* is still
a guess, and one more likely to be wrong than many other guesses that I
could make.

What's wrong with the guess? With MIME, you must guess, anyway, on
unknown charset label.

And, in both cases, you can't display meaningful things if your guess
is wrong.

} > You say, "The reality is that it is readable by all the people who can
} > read it."  Each time I see a message from you, I wonder with sorrow why
} > you seek to exclude so many from that group.
}
} From which group?

The group of those who can conveniently read email written in Japanese.

Do I exlucde some from "the group of those who can conveniently read
email written in Japanese"? No, I don't.

The current ISO-2022-JP encoded e-mail message is readable by all
the people in "the group of those who can conveniently read email
written in Japanese" without MIME.

} Are you saying I should teach Japanese to all
} the people in the world?

I'm saying that refusal to employ the appropriate methods to make it easy
to differentiate messages containing iso-2022-int-* from those that do not
contain it is needlessly excluding a large number of persons who already
know Japanese.

WWWWWHHHHAAAAATTT!?

When *ALL* the Internet people who can read Japanese, both inside and
outside of Japan, both native and non-native (such as Mark Crispin),
both UNIX and PC users, are using ISO-2022-JP only for Internet
Japanese communication for these 10 years, how can you say I exclude
someone?

I think you better worry about MIME not to exlucde X.400 users.

                                                Masataka Ohta