Re: Don't change RFC822 for the worse!

1994-12-08 23:56:34
I think the important facts are these:

Not.

Ohta-san, you are just a rude, impolite human being. Your flip, undefended
answers are insulting.

I just treat narrow-sighted MIME worshippers who can't respect someone
else's language accordingly.

If someone can't respect our culture, I shall not treat the one as
a human being.

i) much of the world does not understand ISO-2022, therefore if you send

Much of the MIME implementation does not understand ISO-2022.

Both statements are equally true. Most MIME implementations do not
understand ISO-2022. Most mail programs do not understand 2022. I do not
see your point here. Explain yourself.

Almost all mail programs pass 2022 as is. There is no point to request
mail programs understand 2022. People who don't know such a basic fact
of life in non-ASCII environment may ask a question. But, do so
politely.

By using ISO 2022 to label, the recipient has a way to know (at least,
and maybe see) what we intended.

This is absolutely false.

OK. I am too polite to tolerate your arrogance, here.

I want you to give direct answers to the
following questions:

1. Does ISO-2022 label itself as ISO-2022? If so, how?

2. If you do not know that a message is encoded in ISO-2022, is there any
way to discover this from the message itself. If so, how?

3. Does your entire argument rest on the assumption that every mail program
should automatically assume ISO-2022? If not, how can mailers figure out if
ISO-2022 is being used?

If you don't know about ISO 2022, read ISO 2022. Still, if
you can't understand some point, then, ask me.

IETF is not the place of education. Certain amount of technical knowledge
is expected.

For your home work, can I ask how MIME can labell itself in
EBCDIC environment?

Sure. Not front nor back, just side and unrelated. It contributes
nothing to have multilingual single text.

For my multilingual single text, I will use ICODE (the encoding scheme
which you describe in the draft of your paper). Is your mail program
currently able to display it? If not, can you program it to do so?

Mail programs does not display anything, while I can program my
terminal emulator to do so.

BTW, ICODE is 21bit code. How can you include it in mails? I assume
your shallow understanding confuse ICODE and IUTF.

If I send you one message in ICODE and one message in ISO-2022, without any
distingishing labels, will your mail program be able to tell which one I
used and display it correctly every time?

Didn't I say ISO-2022-INT-* is designed carefully?

Yes, you can mix ISO-2022-INT-* and IUTF freely and the result
is mechanically distinguishable.

(but many people will not be able to read your messages).

Are you saying you can read Japanese message if and only if it
is labelled by MIME?

The only way you can read an ISO-2022 encoded message that is *NOT*

I don't think you can read Japanese.

                                                Masataka Ohta