Re[2]: Will the real uuencode please stand up?

1994-12-19 10:32:31
     We also use x-uuencode in Internet Exchange (our gateway to cc:Mail).

     It has been my impression that many MIME vendors have had to add
     support for this capability due to the very strong demand of their
     customers.  This is certainly the case for us - in spite of the fact
     that we strongly discourage the use of UUENCODE for any file types, we
     have found that a large portion of our user base depends upon this and
     actually prefers it over the "official" alternatives.

     At the risk of bringing up an old argument, based upon what we now
     know of the real world demand for this type of compatibility, does it
     make sense to re-address some of these issues?  Perhaps it might make
     sense to optionally support UUENCODE within MIME, and then all of us
     that have to support this, can at least come to agreement on a common
     way to label things.

     Best Regards,

     Tim Kehres
     International Messaging Associates Ltd