Re[6]: Will the real uuencode please stand up?

1994-12-27 15:26:34
     Dear Ned,

     Thanks for your notes regarding your experiences with UUENCODE.  I am
     not attempting to dispute any of your comments.  I agree that my
     personal experience with UUENCODE is most likely due to the groups
     that I have been personally invovled with over the years.  Our
     experience in fielding SMTP has clearly shown the same principal in
     force when we started to test our SMTP in environments that are
     foreign to us.

     While you are experiencing real problems with the fielding of a single
     version of UUENCODE, we are seeing the problem from a different,
     perspective.  I would like to think we are both trying to solve the
     same problem, however are approaching it from different angles.

     To restate what I've mentioned before - if I could figure out a way to
     stomp out all use of UUENCODE, I would support this.  Unfortunately,
     the UUENCODE issue has been a thorn in our side for a completely
     different reason.

     Our gateway, a MIME compliant gateway for cc:Mail naturally sells into
     environments where cc:Mail is dominant.  Our main competition in this
     market is the Lotus (non-MIME) gateway.  The last very informal
     numbers that I've heard indicate that Lotus is fielding a couple
     hundred gateways per month, and doubling their sales each year
     (gateways included).  I would suspect that Microsoft is probably
     fielding similar numbers of their non-MIME gateways as well.  With
     each gateway representing several hundred users, the number of new
     users that come into existance each month is considerable.  Both of
     these gateways deal with attachments using *only* UUENCODE.

     What we have found is that the user community is DEMANDING that we
     produce solutions that allow them to communicate with the existing
     user base as well.  There are two ways to do this - the first is that
     we allow for the MIME encoding of uuencoded data, which also happens
     to be properly decoded by these gateways.  The other is to admit
     defeat, and create a non-MIME mode for the gateway.  Unfortunately,
     our next release of the gateway will include a mechanism where the
     gateway administrator can select which mode - MIME or non-MIME is used
     based upon the recipient host.  The question we are trying to answer
     now however is which mode should be the default?  I'm afraid that the
     answer to this question will not be to our liking either, with the
     non-MIME mode prefered by more than the MIME default mode.

     To show just how crazy this can be - I have a reseller working with a
     client that is using our cc:Mail gateway and another vendor's MIME
     compliant Microsoft Mail gateway.  Both sides have to deal with
     non-MIME recipients as well as MIME.  It is starting to look like the
     best way to solve the interoperability problems between our two MIME
     gateways will be to configure both sides to think the other gateway is
     a non-MIME gateway and uuencode everything between themselves
     (actually I think we can receive their MIME messages, however the
     other gateway drops the x-uuencode CTE on the floor).  This makes no
     sense to me.

     The whole situation is most disturbing to me.  We are BTW, not the
     first vendor that has come to this conclusion of having to backtrack
     and build in non-MIME support for messages we generate (not just
     accept).  And the reason for this clearly revolves around the
     extremely widespread use and acceptance of UUENCODE within the
     marketplace.

     Personally, I'd prefer to find a way to support UUENCODE within the
     context of MIME than having to build gateways that support both
     approaches.  It appears to be a lose-lose situation either way - just
     which set of evils is easier to live with?

     Just another vendor looking for a way out of the UUENCODE jungle...

     Best Regards,

     Tim Kehres
     International Messaging Associates Ltd