nonexistent-WG Last Call on MIME documents

1996-06-14 07:00:12
Folks,
the time has come to move on the next step of the MIME documents.

The proposal on the table before us is:

There exist 6 new drafts, with the following names and proposed grade:

draft-ietf-822ext-mime-imb-06.txt       - Draft
draft-ietf-822ext-mime-imt-04.txt       - Draft
draft-ietf-822ext-mime-hdrs-00.txt      - Draft
draft-ietf-822ext-mime-reg-03.txt       - BCP
draft-ietf-822ext-mime-conf-05.txt      - Draft
draft-freed-charset-reg-00.txt          - BCP

Most of these have been out for quite a while, and what initial discussion
there was has largely died down.

There is no active working group that has within its scope a mandate to
review these documents.

What I propose is this:

- All of the interested parties, read the documents NOW.
- If discussion on this list provokes no strong reactions against the
  current text of the document, issue an IETF-wide Last Call.

I propose a deadline for discussion on this list of ***** JULY 4, 1996.*****
(which will give me time to get back from the IETF and catch my breath)
At this time, if no significant (in the minds of me and Keith) objections
to the documents have been raised, the IETF-wide Last Call (4-week)
will go out.

NOTE: The assumption behind a recycle at Draft is that:

- There is no new functionality.
- There exist multiple interoperable implementations.
- The current documents are clearer than the old specs, but specify
  the same protocol.

Valid objections are that the document changes the protocol in an
incompatible manner, that the documents are unclear, or that there
are features that are not implemented and should be removed.

If you want to CHANGE MIME, this is NOT the time to do it,
since any CHANGE to the protocol requires a reset to Proposed level.

Comments?

             Harald A