Content-Disposition Charset Punt

1996-06-22 21:30:35
The only bugbear left in the Content-Disposition woods is the desire on
the part of many to have charset support for the filenames. The
current draft punts:

    Current [RFC 1521] grammar restricts parameter values (and
    hence Content-Disposition filenames) to US-ASCII.  We
    recognize the great desirability of allowing arbitrary
    character sets in filenames, but it is beyond the scope of
    this document to define the necessary mechanisms.  We expect
    that the basic [RFC 1521] `value' specification will someday
    be amended to allow use of non-US-ASCII characters, at which
    time the same mechanism should be used in the Content-
    Disposition filename parameter.

In the interests of expediency, I want to stick with this wording and
approach. It was in no small part turmoil over this issue that caused
it to be issued as Experimental in the first place, so I wanted to run
this by the group.

-Rens