Re: MIME implementation documentation

1996-08-16 07:45:07
On 8/16/96 at 4:47 AM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996 23:01:25 -0700  Dave Crocker
<dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> wrote:
     Yes, we need to audit functions not implemented and remove them
from the spec.  do you have any candidates for removal?

Just a hunch, based on MUAs I've looked at recently, but
  multipart/alternative
and
  multipart/parallel
are good starters.  The only creation-implementations I know of
either require either hand-fussing (e.g., editing
proto-outgoing-messages from /mixed) or specialized assembly
macros that are not what we normally consider MUAs (e.g., the
process used to prepare the I-D announcements).

Just to name names: I know that Cyberdog on the Macintosh and Microsoft's
new mail and news offering (the latter for which I don't know the release
status) both produce multipart/alternative by default (without "by-hand"
user manipulation) for certain types of messages.

I have, to date, never seen a multipart/parallel message.

pr

--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated