Re: MIME implementation documentation

1996-08-16 08:22:08
At 3:00 AM -0700 8/16/96, Ned Freed wrote:
entirely misplaced. MIME exceeded its design goals and became a general data
structuring format before the first set of MIME RFCs were even out. There are

        indeed it did and I agree that MUAs aren't the only place to look
for satisfaction of the implementation/use.  But the use needs to be real.
The fact that RFC and I-D announcements use /alternative is a good start,
for believing the contruct is a good one.  But what receiving software is
there that uses this contruct meaningfully?  Is it used elsewhere?  (For
reference, I really DO want the answer to be yes.  I think is is a
marvelous construct.)

Perhaps we aren't, but it seems to me that you are reading an awful
lot into the proposed-->draft step of the process.

        this step doesn't require implementation into production systems;
demonstration is fine.  on the other hand, MIME ain't new and a lack of
implementation in production systems by now is not a good sign.  no?

d/

Dave Crocker                                            +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                             fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.
dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com
Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA                       http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium               http://www.imc.org,