RE: text/paragraph or wrap=yes/no

1998-03-20 13:15:03
At 04:51 PM 3/20/98 +0100, Jacob Palme wrote:
I do not think the recipient mailer is very interested in knowing
whether the sender has wrapped paragraphs or not. The receipient
mailer is interested in what kind of processing it should perform,

In fact I think you've highlighted the nature of the current dilemma quite
nicely.  Some people are focusing on formatting directives and others are
focusing on information representation.  The latter pertains to semantics
of the underlying data and the former pertains to the presentation of that
data.  Both are valid issues, but it's important to keep them separate.

The trigger to the discussion, namely formalization of the "paragraph"
construct, is semantics.  Terms like "wrap" are presentation.

d/
Dave Crocker                Brandenburg Consulting       +1 408 246 8253
dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com      675 Spruce Drive       (f) +1 408 249
6205
www.brandenburg.com        Sunnyvale, CA 94086  USA