RE: text/paragraph or wrap=yes/no

1998-03-19 08:22:30
On 13 Mar 1998, Ned Freed wrote:

There's nothing vague about it. The problem is that there needs to be an added
requirement to require the ability to generate text/plain wrap=no and you and
others at Qualcomm appear to object to that.

Or I/we were following a few paths to see where they lead. I don't object
to the requirement.

Perhaps it is useful to consider that the text we deal falls basically
into three categories:

1) Haiku/ascii art/tabular - Text that was composed explicity on a
line-by-line basis. The user put the line breaks in where they wanted them.
This is clearly text/plain now and text/plain wrap=no in the future.

2) Courtesy wrapped - Text that was composed in an environment which flows
text across lines as the user composes it and then hard-wrapped by the
sending agent as a courtesy to the receiving agent and to comply to the
standard.  This text is typically wrapped at slightly less than 80 columns.
This is probably the most common form of text in use today.

3) Flowable - Text that was composed in an environment which flows text
across lines and is sent that way. This would be text/plain wrap=yes.

LL