Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-07 13:01:38

At 10.49 +0000 02-02-07, Charles Lindsey wrote:
So you need a requirement that things only go into the registry if it is
anticipated that widely deployed software will want to parse and
understand them (and which it would be a pain to rewrite if it had to be
changed from X- to non-X- later on).

That is too strict. If an experimental system wants to try
out a new facility, like "Counter-Argument-To", this should
be allowed even if we do not know if it will be widely
used. The importance with the registry is (a) that it stops
someone else from using the same header name with a
different usage (b) someone who wants to implement a new
header can find out and learn from, and make its
implementation compatible, with what others have done (c)
it can warn against dangerous header names. None of these
advantages with a registry will work if we only register
widely deployed headers.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/