Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-04 20:12:15

In <ylvgde1lmz(_dot_)fsf(_at_)windlord(_dot_)stanford(_dot_)edu> Russ Allbery
<rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu> writes:

Charles Lindsey <chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:

(1) A specification published in an accessible place. That might be a
web site, an Internet Draft, or even an experimental RFC.

An Internet Draft is clearly not sufficient to register a header for
standardization because it expires and the registry entry doesn't.

Yes it does. You build in a rule that if the published spec ceases to
exist/expires/whatever, then the entry in the registry automatically goes.
That is why it is called "provisional" (or whatever we decide). Only the
"full" registry of standardized headers is permanent.

I don't see any point in putting details that may change or be dropped
entirely into an IETF header registry.  If that's what you want, just use
Dan's registry.

Dan's registry is unofficial, and not everybody knows where to find it.
And (AIUI) it contains just whatever Dan thinks it ought, or ought not, to
contain. An IANA registry would be findable, authoritative, and would have
defined rules (the purpose of this discussion is to see what those rules
should look like, of course).

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.