Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-08 11:59:21

Keith Moore writes:
 |I could make an equally valid statement about Dan Bernstein.

Ok.  Sounds like that thread has hit the wall.

Trying to return to a more polite tone:  notice this email has a Versions:
header, used by a set of mail tools I've been using on the Internet since
1990.

Other mail software, at various times, has noticed, filtered, and/or
used per my "spec" this header.  (NeXT's Mail.app is one example)

It seems like it would be nice to be able to publically
document that header's use.

At the same time my mail software knows about all kinds of other
"random" headers.  It uses some magic MS Outlook headers to
parse outlook meeting invitations.  It would have been nice to
know about those, also.

As an email implementor, I'd like to see a list that says:

What's standard (ie, defined in an RFC, like Subject)
What's non-standard but exists (like my Versions header)

If there are conflicts the list should call this out.
Clearly the default winner in a conflict is the standard, and it's
OK if the list stresses that fact.

If there's a conflict between 2 non-standard items, well, highlight
that, and email implementers will know these are great headers
to never display to users :-)

                        --Dan

--
  Dan Grillo   dan(_at_)grillo(_dot_)net  (650) 917-0685  fax (209)315-7970