Re: All these lonely accents, where do they all come from?

2002-05-07 22:42:13

On 5/8/02 at 12:48 AM +0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

Please explain exactly where you think unnormalized UTF-8 text enters the world's computer systems.

1. My e-mail client receives a piece of e-mail in a legacy character set.

2. The user replies to that message.

3. I take the text of the old message and run it through Apple's Unicode conversion library to convert it to Unicode. I (not knowing any better) use the default conversion parameters, which results in text that is not normalized, but rather easily reversible into the source character set.

4. I take that text and what the user has typed in their reply, UTF-8 encode it, and send it.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102