Re: All these lonely accents, where do they all come from?

2002-05-09 09:12:24

In <a05111808b8fe678cc604(_at_)[216(_dot_)43(_dot_)25(_dot_)67]> Pete Resnick
<presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:

3. I take the text of the old message and run it through Apple's
Unicode conversion library to convert it to Unicode. I (not knowing
any better) use the default conversion parameters, which results in
text that is not normalized, but rather easily reversible into the
source character set.

If Apple's Unicode converter does not normalize, then it is severely
broken and should be fixed.

The two places where normalization MUST take place, in order to ensure
that non-normalized code is never seen by normal applications, are
keyboards and converters from non-Unicode notations.

In addition to those, it probably SHOULD take place in a few really
critical places, such as in Nameprep prior to DNS lookup (but that should
be built in inside, or very close to the input to, the DNS system).

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.